Consent to Establish, Consent to Operate and Renewal

Establishing a new manufacturing company is a big challenge itself for entrepreneur. It also requires many approvals  i.e. Consent to operate (CTO) and Consent to establish (CTE) from government authorities. If required guidelines not followed properly for getting approval from government then situation may become difficult.Consent to Establish, Operate , Renewal

One of the major Consent is from Pollution control Board.

Environmental Monitoring and MPCB consent Services

Perfect Pollucon Services is an Environmental consultant offering services in Environmental Monitoring and consultancy.

– Consent to Establish
– Consent to Operate
– Renewal of consent
– Amendment in existing MPCB consent
– Change in Company name


If manufacturing company discharge, stores, Handling, transport substances like Poisonous gases, waste water, Noise or any other waste which harms/Pollute environment then they have to take approval from Pollution control board which is called as Consent from Pollution control Board.

Consent from Pollution Board is of two types:

Consent to Establish (NOC)

This type of consent to Establish (NOC) must obtain by manufacturing company as per the Water Act 1974 and Air Act 1981, before starting Establishment the site. There are Some documents required to obtain consent to establish like Site plan, DD for fees, Manufacturing details, Approval from govt and Local bodies etc.

Click here to Download Consent to establish or operate application Form. Application form must be duly filled before submitting to pollution control board with attached required documents.

There are total five sections in consent to establish form:

  • General
  • Waste water Aspects
  • Air Emission Aspects
  • Hazardous waste aspects
  • Additional Information

There are four types of consents i.e. simplified consent (pollution free SSI), Green Consent, Orange consent and Red Consent. The validity of NOC is for the one year. NOC should be renewed if the unit is not commissioned by then. If renewal is not requested within the validity period then fresh application has to be made to the pollution control Board.

MPCB Online Application

Recently MPCB have started a new process by which a company can fill and submit their consent to Establish, operate or renewal of existing consent online.

By using this site you can fill MPCB online application form, but make sure that you have below mentioned documents handy before starting to apply MPCB consent online

  1. SSI registration copy
  2. Email ID and PAN card of Company.
  3. Company Name and address

New users can register and existing users can login to MPCB Web Portal

You can refer to FAQ section of website to go through frequently asked questions.

To check list of newly granted consent by MPCB click here

To view step by step guidelines on MPCB online consent application to establish, operate or renewal of existing consent, you can visit here

After filling MPCB online application MPCB staff will ask you to visit their office for physical verification. You need to carry below mentioned documents before visiting MPCB staff.

For Physical verification of Documents in MPCB require following documents.

  1. Original SSI COPY.
  2. Original PAN Card Copy.
  3. Original PAN Card of Director/Authorized Person.
  4. Authority letter from Company.
  5. Board Resolution for Appointment of Authorized Person.

MPCB Consent to Operate and Renewal:

This type of consent must obtain before starting actual production after getting NOC from pollution control board. In MPCB Consent to establish procedure Major Documents required are Detailed plant Layout, Air, water noise and Soil Sampling and Analysis reports, Copy of previous consent, SSI certificate Maharashtra etc. it can be obtained for 1 year to 5 years.

Difference between Consent to Establish and Consent to Operate

As per government notification under water act 1974 and air act 1981 a company should obtain consent to establish before establishing (before starting construction of site) from pollution control board.

After establishing your company representative from pollution control board visits site to check whether construction is as per plan. Once approved you can apply for consent to operate.

Consent to operate can be renewed for every 1 to 5 years depending on the category whereas consent to establish is one time activity.

Documents required to get the MPCB consent to establish

  • Site proposal/index
  • Geographical Map
  • Detailed layout plant of different processes and point sources of sewage emissions/discharges and position of stack and documents including D.G. set capability in KVA.
  • Details of Water Pollution Control/Air Pollution Control instruments proposed to be provided.
  • Ambient Air Quality Report
  • NOC from Directorate of Industries Government of Maharashtra /SSI Certificate Maharashtra
  • DGTD Registration ( if applicable )
  • Details of chemical reactions with mass equilibrium.
  • Consent fees in the form of DD drawn on favour of Pollution control board.
  • NOC from Local body.
  • Under taking on Rs. 20 stamp paper or Chartered Accountant certificate about projected Capital Investment ( Land, building, and other machineries).
  • Water Budget calculations

Documents required for consent to operate or renewal

  • Detailed layout plant of different processes and point sources of effluent or sewage discharge or emissions and position of stack and documents including DG set capability in KVA.
  • Process flow sheet.
  • Latest analysis report of solid waste, effluent, hazardous wastes and fuel gases
  • Details of Water Pollution Control or Air Pollution Control instruments provided.
  • Ambient Air Quality Report
  • NOC from Directorate of Industries Government of Maharashtra or SSI Certificate Maharashtra.
  • DGTD Registration. (if applicable )
  • Details of chemical reactions with mass equilibrium.
  • Consent fees in the form of DD drawn on favour of Pollution Control Board.
  • Xerox copy of previous consent (for renewal only).
  • Xerox copy of Environmental Clearance of Government of Maharashtra or Government of India in case of 1st consent to operate in case of industries or process requiring environmental clearance.
  • Water budget calculations

Consent to Operate under Water and Air Act

The validity of Consent to Establish is for the one year. Consent to Establish should be renewed if the unit is not commissioned by then. If renewal is not obtained within the validity period fresh application has to be made to the pollution control Board.

Consent Fees under water act / air act

Entrepreneurs need to pay consent fee by DD in favor of Pollution control board. Normally it depends upon Capital investment of Company. It can vary between 0.02% to 0.05% of Capital Investment for both Consent to Establishment and Operate.

Common Questions answered about How to get consent from MPCB?

Renewal of consent to Operate

Application for MPCB Consent to Operate (Renewal) is to be submitted in the 4th month before the expiry of the Consent order. If application is made after expiry of the validity period an action is to be taken as per Section 25/26 of Water Act & Section 21 of Air Act. The MPCB application form for Consent to Operate (Renewal) under the Water Act and Air Act is Schedule-I should be submitted in triplicate. The application form is available at all the offices of the Board or can be downloaded from the state pollution control board’s Website. The amount is to be submitted as DD in favour of the Member Secretary, State Pollution Control Board.

Documents to submitted for renewal of consent are similar to MPCB consent to operate.

Penalty for Operating without Consent

Penalty for Manufacturing/Production without pollution control board Consent to Operate/Establishment can go 10 times more than consent fess.

We offer Environmental Monitoring Services click here to know more

Site Visit

After submitting form to Pollution control board, government officials visit the site to verify compliance and implementation of the conditions of the consent to Establish (NOC) issued by the State Pollution Control Board and take necessary actions.

Why Perfect Pollucon Services?

We have 15 years’ experience in obtaining consent to Establish, Consent to operate and Consent to Renewal. We take care of Tasks like Preparation application Consent form, Submission of application for consent to operate and consent for establishment, Required Sampling analysis reports and Follow up with Pollution control board to obtain consent.

If you required more info or want to obtain consent to Establish, Operate, Renewal or any other issues please fill up Contact us from on right side or you can call us.

Below are our key features for each service:

Consent to Establish

  • Preparation of Application
  • MPCB online consent application
  • Classification of Industry (Red / Orange / Green)
  • Analysis of the Case
  • Filing of Case with MPCB
  • Obtain Consent to Establishment

Consent to Operate

  • Preparation of Application
  • MPCB consent to operate online application
  • Evaluate existing Consent to Establish
  • Analysis of the Case
  • Filing of Case with MPCB
  • Obtain Consent to Operate

Renewal of consent

  • Preparation of Application
  • MPCB online consent renewal
  • Evaluate existing Consent to Operate
  • Analysis of the Case
  • Filing of Case with MPCB
  • Obtain Renewed Consent to Operate

Let us know if you have any questions or contact us if you want to Obtain or renew your consent.

You can also refer to how to fill up and submit Environmental Statement

Perfect Pollucon Services

17 thoughts on “Consent to Establish, Consent to Operate and Renewal

  1. Subhananda Pradhan says:


    I have a query, can you please help me on it.

    For an Iron Ore mine,
    Mining Plan is having a proposal to setup a Benefication plant within in the lease area.
    I got the Environment Clearance, Forest Clearance.
    I have not establish the Benefication plant as on date. I dont have the right amount of funds currently to setup the plant. I am thinking to setup the plant once the mine is running.
    I want to apply for Consent To Operate [CTO].
    Will i get a CTO even if i have not setup the plant? or do i need to setup the plant and then apply for CTO.

    • Mr Subhananda, First of all thank you for your comment.

      As per MPCB, one has to apply for consent to establish (CTE) before setup the plant. once you have that you can start setup your plant. after you setup your plant you can apply for consent to operate (CTO). Make sure that you start manufacturing only after you get consent to operate (CTO) from MPCB.

  2. Hi,
    Pls note that we have cto till 31.03.2016 and in july 2015 we have upgrade our etp plant and apply for cte and get cte for 24 months. but as our regular cto was upto 31.03.2016, so we have applied for trial in feb16 and get trial in feb 16 upto last may2016.

    now my question is-
    1 can we apply for cte both/hwm before expiry of trial .i.e.upto last may16 ??
    2 or we have to apply for cto both/hwm before the expiry of trial.???

    that is I am not clear that what we have to apply i.e. cte or cto?????
    so pls make it clear.

    thanks in anticipation.

    • Thank you Deepak for your question.

      First of all you need to apply for renewal of consent for existing consent to operate, after that you need to apply for consent to operate for existing (upgraded) consent to establish.

      Let us know if you have any questions.

  3. Vishal sawarkar says:

    We have got EC. Now we want to apply for CTE. What is the format of “local body NOC”? What should be the contents of this NOC?

    • Thank you for your question. To apply CTE you need to fill up Consent to establish FORM and submit it to MPCB with required documents.

      Let us know if you face any issues.

  4. Hi, I have not obtained CFE. I am developing 4 acres of land for residential purpose. There is a STP in that. Now my houses are ready to occupy. KSPCB issued notice stating that I should have taken the CFE under Water and Air Act. Kindly advise what should I do?

    • If we can understand properly, you have completed construction without taking consent from Pollution control board.

      In that case you have violated policy of Pollution control board and they may fine you heavily. You will have to contact person (RO or SRO) from Pollution control board and ask for procedure.

  5. Vamsi Pavuluri says:

    We have CTE in our hand for our solar pv power plant. Now kindly let me know the documents required to submit at the time of CTO application.
    Thanks in advance.

    • Thanks for your comment.

      You can refer to section on this page “Documents required for consent to operate or renewal” for documents required at the time of CTO application.

  6. Soumya Bhargava says:


    If company A has undertaken consent to establish and thereafter, company B purchases the land and factory of Company A, would the Company B require the consent to establish for the said factory?

    • Thank you for reading article and asking question.

      Whenever a company takes consent to establish it is taken for land and factory and not for the company. if company A has already acquired consent to establish and Company B has undertaken company A, in that case you need to submit your original consent alongwith your undertake certificate / Change of owner to amend it in existing consent.

      Hope this helps.

  7. We have IT company in Dehradun with approx. 1200 employees and 3 generator with 2×500 KVA and 1×250 KVA, also, we installed STP (sewage treatment plant), my question is, are air and water consent is applicable to our company.

    • Hi Avnish,

      Thank you for your comment.

      Yes, it is compulsory to get consent for air and water as your company has installed Diesel generator and STP.

      for more information you can get in contact with pollution control board of your state.

  8. Shwetank Sharma says:

    the company which had the CTE and CTO is merging with another company. ARE new consent applications required to be filled or the previous one given to the merging entity will suffice? if not, what needs to be done to notify the relevant authorities for this change?

  9. Hi, there are many local manufacturing companies running without these consents. How?


    • Hi Amit,

      We agree with you but it is personal decision of the company owner if they are manufacturing without consent and we don’t recommend doing that. After some time they will face consequences for doing this.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *