A noise mapping study is a detailed analysis of the noise levels in a specific area. It involves the use of sound sensors, computer modeling or software and data analysis to create a detailed illustration of noise levels in the area of study.
Noise contour mapping are simply colored map to indicate intensity of noise on the map of place of study conducted. It is very helpful to identify area where noise levels exceed recommended threshold.
What is meant by Noise Mapping?
Let’s understand it in detail. Noise mapping is method of collecting noise level data using noise monitoring sensors, data modelling and visualizing in graphical manner. The purpose of this process is to get detailed map of noise levels that can highlight areas where noise levels are exceeded so that measures can be taken to reduce noise.
Types of Noise Mapping
There are many types of Noise Mapping but most popular types are
- Strategic Noise Mapping: This type is used by government agencies and large corporates to measure noise reduction measures they have taken for big projects
- Environmental Noise Mapping: Environmental noise mapping is done by environmental Protection agencies to measure impact of noise on environment and wildlife.
- Community Noise mapping: In this type local communities are taken into consideration where noise pollution is at very high and to develop strategies reduce noise levels.
Noise Mapping Procedure
Noise Mapping Procedures can be divided in three types based on tools used i.e., Sound Sensors, Computer Simulation and Data Analysis.
Also read about Noise Level Monitoring Procedure
In Noise mapping procedure, Sound Sensors play very important role. Noise level monitoring Sensors are placed in strategic locations in the study area. Data is collected periodically from noise sensors and it is used to create detailed noise map which shows distribution of noise levels in study area.
Computer Modelling or Noise mapping software is another tool used in Noise Mapping procedure. In this method map is fed to the software and based on conditions it can generate and simulate noise patterns based on conditions. For e.g., if we create road or construction project in nearby area then noise level can increase for that area and then based on noise reduction techniques it can also shows which technique is impactful in those conditions.
Data Analysis is also a great tool for Noise Mapping. This Noise Mapping procedure involves analyzing large amount of data on noise level. And then after studying trends and patterns, high noise level areas and potential sources can be identified. This can help to take measures to reduce Noise levels and prioritize areas for action.
Learn more about Noise Level Monitoring and Testing
Noise Mapping Software
There are many noise mapping software are available in the market. Here are some of the popular ones:
- CadnaA: This is the popular among all. This has features to add virtual model of area and simulate noises in different conditions. This is widely preferred by researchers, government agencies etc.
- SoundPLAN: It allows to create detailed map and perform various analysis. This is popular in environmental consultants and government agencies
- IMMI: This is noise modelling software which can simulate noise level at airports, traffic and inplant noises, etc.
- NoiSee: This is good tool to create detailed noise map using data gathered from Noise sensors and computer models
- Norsonic Nor-Map: This has options for indoor and outdoor noise map.
- Odeon: This also has features like indoor and outdoor noise mapping. It can simulate noise mapping for complex terrain.
- AERMOD: A software can be used for air quality and noise quality modelling.
- INM: This is used by aviation authorities for airport noise mapping
- SOUNDRISK: A software can be used for environmental noise mapping for noise generated from transportation, industries and wind turbines, etc.
- SIMUL8 Noise: This is used to simulate noise mapping from sources like industrial facilities, construction sites and transportation, etc.
Benefits of Noise Mapping
The main benefit of Noise mapping is managing environmental Noise Pollution. This Procedure provides details understanding of noise levels in study area. It also helps in identifying sources of noise pollution and impacting area which helps in taking effective measure to reduce noise levels.
It can also help to take measures to reduce noise for environment and communities. Noise Map helps to identify areas where sound barriers can reduce noise levels and restriction on noisy activities in certain areas.
in a conclusion, Noise Mapping is helping to take significant step towards creating a healthier and more sustainable environment.